May 10, 2013


Munster ‘B’ and County ‘A’ Football Champions


Back Row (left to right): Kenneth Kiely, Thomas O’ Mahony, Sean Phelan, Shane Dolan, Michael McHugh, Padraig Kelly, Paddy McDonnell, John-David Duggan, Oisin Ó Cuinnegain, Kevin Tobin, Andrew Laste.

Middle Row: Michael O Shea, Brian Carroll, Anthony Keane, Ian Browne, Barry Hanley, Marc Tobin, Ian Barnes, Peter Hally, Senan O’ Halloran, Tony Gleeson.

Front Row: Brian Mulvihill, Aidan Foley, Pat Power (Principal), Danny Madigan (Captain), Gerry Shanahan (Deputy Principal), Liam Lawlor, David Conway, Barry Gibbons.
Super year for seniors
The senior football team had it’s most successful year since 1986 and that team had players of the calibre of Patrick Kavanagh, Christoir McGrath, Philly Ryan, Michael McGrath, John Dempsey, Ger Deeley. So in the future we will be looking out for the names of Ian Browne, Aidan Foley, Danny Madigan, Liam Lawlor, Kenneth Kiely, Brian Mulvihill, Ian Barnes. Victories over Cashel, Nenagh, Kilmacthomas and Bandon allowed them to win Corn An Uachtarain (Munster Senior B Footbal). Victories over Templemore and Cahir allowed them to win Corn Mac Gabhannn (County Senior A Football)

The first round of the Munster Championship between High School Clonmel and Cashel Community School was played in New Inn on October 23rd. In the last 10 minutes of the first half, High School started to gain more possession around midfield and with this the forwards added more scores to leave the half-time score, High School 2-6 Cashel 1-3.

The second half opened brightly with Michael McHugh adding a point to extend the lead. Ian Barnes was introduced with immediate effect. He kicked a long ball to the fringes of the square where Aidan Barry connected to score a good goal. With Paul Shanahan around midfield, Brian Power, Peter Hally and Michael McHugh playing well, there was only going to be one winner. Final score was High School 3-14 Cashel 1-5

In the Munster Championship Quarter Final High School Clonmel played Nenagh CBS in Boherlahan Wednesday, 27th November. Nenagh won the toss and elected to play with a strong breeze. The game started at a quick pace with Nenagh applying lots of early pressure but the Clonmel backs held fast not allowing any scores. In fact it was Clonmel to score first with a well taken point by Michael McHugh. High school then applied more pressure to add another point and then a goal taken by Brian Power. Within a few minutes Nenagh were attacking with a high ball into the square. Nobody was able to win clean possession and it resulted with the backs fouling to give away a penalty. Clonmel next score started with the backs recovering possession and played forward with the end result being a goal from Padraig Kelly. The last attack of the half lead to a penalty when Padraig Kelly was taken down by the goalkeeper, it was also converted. High School 3-5 Nenagh 1-4

The second half started with High school aiming to finish the game off as a contest very quickly. Midfield gained a lot of possession and delivered it to the forwards who added score after score. Ian Barnes gave a display of point taking from right corner forward where it seemed he couldn’t miss. Padraig Kelly was a handful throughout the game and scored a goal to seal the game. The backs as stated earlier played very well as a unit only conceded one point in the second half. Best for Clonmel were Ian in goals especially in 1st half, Anthony Keane, David Conway, Thomas O’Mahony, Danny and Kenneth in midfield, Peter Hally, Ian Barnes, Padraig Kelly in attack
Final Score High School 5-11 Nenagh 1-5

Senior B Munster Semi Final was played in Kilsheelan last Thursday 13th February. High School, Clonmel played Kilmacthomas in what transpired to be a very enjoyable but fiercely fought football match. High School started the better and were three points ahead because of some excellent play. The moves being finished off by Brian Mulvihill(2) and Ian Barnes. Kilmacthomas then started to get to grips with the game and started their comeback. This pressure lead to them equalising three points all after 25 minutes gone. The next attack lead to Kilmacthomas scoring a point to take the lead for the first time. With a minute to go in the first half Padraig Kelly took a excellent point to equalise and leaving the score at half time: High School 0-4 Kilmacthomas 0-4

The second half started with High School gaining possession from the throw in and setting up the first attack but to no avail. The next attack was again from High School and Kenneth Kiely from midfield finished the movement with a well taken goal. One attack from Kilmacthomas lead to Danny Madigan being judged to give away a penalty which Ian Browne was unable to do anything about. Pressure was again mounted on the High School backs and despite playing well the lead was narrowed again, and could have been a lot worse only for and excellent diving save from Ian Browne. This save seemed to spur on the Clonmel side. Both sides attacked and defended with great passion but no scores being given away. Final score: High School 1-9 Kilmacthomas 1-7
Senior Football Team Sponsership – Lyons Spar

Left to right: Jerry Shanahan (Deputy Principal), Tony Gleeson, L. Lawlor, T.J. Lyons (sponsor), Danny Madigan (captain senior football team),

Clonmel High School played Hamilton High School Bandon in the Corn An Uachtarain (Munster Colleges B SFC) in Mitchelstown on Sunday March 2nd.In the first half High School played with the wind and opened the game at lightening pace. This pace combined with spectacular football and quick thinking enabled High School to gain early advantage. Within the first ten minutes High School were 2-2 to no score and were much the superior team. Paul Shanahan took both goals with skill and coolness to place both by the goalie. It must also be acknowledged that the quality of the passes to Shanahan were brilliant especially for the second goal when Peter Hally took the quick free onto Shanahan’s goal ward run. Towards the end of the half Bandon were on the attack again, a shot on goal was blocked, but the backs were at fault here by not getting their lines cleared. This allowed Bandon two more shots before it finally hit the back of the net. This was to leave the half time score at High School Clonmel 2-7 Bandon 2-2.

The second half started with Clonmel against the breeze, gained possession from the throw in and set up the first attack. Bandon gained the advantage at midfield at this lead to many attacks on the High School’s goal. With about eight minutes to go Bandon equalised with the scores at 2-8 a piece. The next attack saw Bandon take the lead for the first time in the match. From then on in what could be termed as a tense, dramatic finish, the Clonmel side showed plenty of character at a point where many teams would have folded especially after giving away such a lead. The equalising point came from the boot of Brian Mulvihill. This score came from a very narrow angle and was inspirational, but so was the tackle from Barry Gibbons at corner back that eventually lead to that score. Clonmel gained control over the field as Bandon tired after the exertions to pull back the lead. Fittingly Paul Shanahan finished off the scoring with the final point to leave the score at High School Clonmel 2-11 Bandon 2-9. Captain Danny Madigan accepted the trophy from Munster Colleges representative Micheal Forrestal. Micheal a teacher in the High School was coach the last time the school won this competition in 1986. Excellent performances were given by everyone but man of the match must go to Kenneth Kiely in midfield for a splendid display of high fielding especially in the second half.

Clonmel High School travelled to Birr on April 6th to meet Ulster Champions St Michael’s Lurgan. High School lined out without the services of Ian Barnes, unavailable due to international football commitments. Lurgan set off to a better start and were 1-4 to no score within 10 minutes. But as became the norm with this team High school started a fightback. During this purple patch, High School reduced the score by half time to a single point, Lurgan 1-5 High School 1-4.

The second half was played with fierce intensity with little been given away. Paul Shanahan was replaced due to injury, and this was a huge blow to the team. Despite this, they tried with all they might but to no avail. It was all still to play for with five minutes to go with only two points between the teams, but a couple of careless frees allowed Ryan Henderson to add the crucial scores to leave the final score. St Michael’s Lurgan 1-9 Clonmel High School 1-5.
Despite the disappointment of last Sunday High School were out again, this time in the County Final against Cahir. High School were always in control during this game and were 1-5 to 0-2 at half time. The second half continued in the same vein, and the scores mounted. Substitutes Anthony Keane, Brian Carroll were introduced early as these were unlucky not to be in the starting line-up. Conor Morrissey, Kevin Tobin, John Duggan were also introduced as High School added the county title to their achievements.
Thanks to everyone involved
The management of Tony Gleeson and Mike O’Shea would like to thank the players for their commitment throughout the year. It has been a privilege to be with a group as talented and they blended well together. We wish them the very best in the future both academically and sportingly, and we are quite sure you will be hearing more about these young men. We would also like to thank Eamon Ryan and Johnny Cummins for all of their assistance throughout the year. We would also like to thank Pat Power and Jerry Shanahan for their support during the year.

Panel: Ian Browne, Barry Gibbons, Aidan Foley, David Conway, Danny Madigan, Liam Lawlor, Brian Power, Kenneth Kiely, Thomas O’Mahony, Shane Dolan, Padraig Kelly, Peter Hally, Michael McHugh, Paul Shanahan, Brian Mulvihill, Barry Kiely, Anthony Keane, Ian Barnes, Mark Tobin, John Duggan , Conor Morrissey, Andrew Laste, Sean Phelan, Paddy O’Donnell, Paddy McDonnell, Oisin O’Cuinnegain, Senan O’Halloran, Barry Hanley, Kevin Tobin, Brian Carroll, Adam Mc Sharry, Ciaran O’Connell.
Summary of Season
23/10/02 High School 3-14 Cashel 1-05 Munster Championship 1st Round
27/11/02 High School 5-11 Nenagh 1-05 MunsterQuarter Final
13/02/03 High School 1-09 Kilmacthomas 1-07 Munster Semi Final.
02/03/03 High School 2-11 Bandon 2-09 Munster Final
26/03/03 High School 1-14 Templemore 1-07 County Semi Final
06/04/03 Lurgan 1-09 High School 1-05 All Ireland Semi Final
11/04/03 High School 2-14 Cahir 1-05 County Final


Under 16 1/2 football team 2002 / 2003
Back Row (left to right): Sean Lonergan, George Barrett, Barry Molloy, Philip Bannon Shane Gazely, Ian Fraher, Conor O’Hara, Ian Kavanagh, Tim Ryan.
Middle Row: Mr. Conway, Kevin Dahill, Ian Browne, Robert Dower, Marc Tobin, Jordan Corbett, David Lorigan, Shane Prendergast.
Front Row: Brendan Walsh, Ian McCormack, Conor Morrissey, Brian Mulvihill, Tony Ryan, Daniel Lyne, Martin Dunne, Christopher Aylward.
Good campaign for Under 15 footballers
We started the campaign in Fermoy against Coláiste Barra of Cork. We were well prepared coming into the game after a few challenge matches. Colaiste Barra were a physical side but we showed great heart and ran out convincing winners. Jonathan O’Mahony scored 1-6 and David Lorigan won the battle at midfield.

The quarter-final was against St. Augustine’s of Dungarvan. They were a very skilful side with a few county players on their team, but Shane Gleeson at centre-forward and Stephen Browne at full-forward, were instrumental in the High School prevailing on the day, winning by two points.

The semi-final against Abbey CBS of Tipperary Town was at New Inn. Unfortunately we lost the game but didn’t give up without a fight. We created chances but it wasn’t to be our day in front of goal. Barry Molloy at full back and Brendan Walsh at centre-back had very good games.

The squad was: Patrick Burke, Michael Feeney, Barry Molloy, John Lyne, David Harte, Brendan Walsh, Christopher Aylward, David Lorrigan, Shane Gleeson, Keith Power, Kevin Dahill, Johnathan O’ Mahony, Diarmuid Foley, Brian Dillon, Sean Keating, Thomas O’Leary, Stephen Melbourne, Sean Lonergan, Peter Heverin, Eoin Cass, Ken Hogan, Brian O’Sullivan, David Foley, Kevin McLean, Gerard Bannon.

All in all, it was a good year and it was down to our trainers; Mr. Conway, Mr. Geoghegan and Johnny Cummins.
Vision Store Sponsorship


Back Row: Tony Gleeson, Jerry Shanahan (Deputy Principal) Kenneth Condon (representing sponsors The Vision Store) Liam Lawlor, Pat Power (Principal) Colm Keher, Tom Conway.

Front Row: Stephen Pyke, Tony Cahill, Jordan Corbett, Derek Moore, Sean Lonergan.
Frank O’Keeffe Sponsorship
Back Row: John Geoghegan, Pat Power (Principal) Daniel Lyne, Kevin O’Callaghan, Frank O’Keeffe (sponsor) Martin Dunne, Tom Conway.

Front Row: Marc Tobin, Brian Mulvihill, Ian Fraher.